Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

OK I have a Shorkie... Shih Tzu and Yorkie mix and she has

Customer Question

OK I have a Shorkie... Shih Tzu and Yorkie mix and she has problems with throwing up if she gets over excited or if somebody knocks on the door and she just ate. I took her to the vet, and they ran every test they could to see what the problem was, but they said all test came back fine. She told me to try Childrens Benadryl the Allergy type. I was wondering if that helps with that issue or do you have another solution I don't know what to do and it breaks my heart to see her like that
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I don't think this is a medical issue. This is an anxiety issue. These are best handled with a veterinary behaviorist to deal with the anxiety associated with people coming over or knocking on the door. They often times work with you in the clinical setting as well as at home to ramp down the anxiety during these situations. One medication that I like in these dogs, is Trazodone. It's a really good anti-anxiety med that is relatively new in veterinary medicine. It has a wide dose range, so we can go up or down as needed. Eventually, the goal is to wean off meds and have a different mindset to prevent these anxiety related nauseous episodes. Here's a link to find a behaviorist near you: I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.