Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate a half of my blood pressure pill. What should I

Customer Question

My dog ate a half of my blood pressure pill. What should I do... the medication name is ***** *****
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Metoprolol will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Metoprolol?
Customer: No that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ? 2. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago } ? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
41lbs and ten minutes sgp
Hello again Good news, this should not affect your dog too much, however I have worked out a fuller answer for you below ... 1. This drug { metoprolol } is sometimes prescribed for dogs and the amount your dog swallowed is within the prescribing range for that weight of dog so really as long as your dog is otherwise healthy I would not expect any adverse effects of any sort. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation other than just keeping an eye on your dog. 2. Where I give advise on drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so clients can check the accuracy of what I have said and also read more on the subject : LINKI hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Michel,I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Metoprolol ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Vet_Answers