Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

I have a 13yr old Yorkshire. Always has a great appetite.

Customer Question

I have a 13yr old Yorkshire. Always has a great appetite. Yesterday and this morning won't touch his food. Still drinking ok. What do you think is up?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Nico. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. When a dog suddenly won't eat, that is a sign he is sick or in pain. Even if he seems normal in every other way, he is telling you something is wrong. It could be a "24 hour bug" that will get better on its own, but in an older dog it can be a sign of internal disease. Check his gums; do they look bright pink? If his gums look pale, I would be concerned. If he goes 24 hours without eating, to me that is when I would recommend a thorough physical exam by a veterinarian. Can you take his temperature? You can try giving him 1/4th of a 10 mg Pepcid AC (Famotidine) for nausea and see if that helps.Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
How is Nico doing? I hope you were able to see what wrote! Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.