How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13049
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 11.5 lb patterdale ate app. 1-1.5 cups of trail mix that

Customer Question

my 11.5 lb patterdale ate app. 1-1.5 cups of trail mix that had choc chips and raisins in it while we slept. He seems to be fine this morning but just concerned.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He just ate his dog food and drank water he did take 1 alprazolam .5mg and 1/2 acepromazine 10mg last night for the storms don't know if that affects anything
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
Hello Anita, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Joey. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Any idea how many raisins he could have eaten? Raisin poisoning in dogs is strange. Some dogs eat raisins and have no problems. Other times, dogs eat raisins and go into kidney failure. A few raisins are not a concern, but if he ate a lot of raisins, I would be cautious. Chocolate poisoning also depends on how much is eaten, and whether it is dark chocolate or milk chocolate; dark is much more toxic. A small amount will not hurt a dog, more will cause vomiting and diarrhea, a lot of chocolate will cause tremors and seizures. Any idea how long ago she ate it? If it was less than an hour or so you could try to induce vomiting at a veterinary clinic or with a teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide in milk or ice cream. If it was more than a couple hours ago, there will be no reason to induce vomiting. It is a good sign he ate and drank.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
The problem with raisins is if you wait until you see symptoms (not eating, vomiting, not urinating much) it is too late to help them. The recommendation is to start IV fluids to maintain kidney function, and do blood test to see if there is kidney damage. There is no way to be sure if the raisins are going to affect her or not unless we can guess how many she ate.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.
I hope you were able to see what I wrote! How is he doing?

Related Dog Veterinary Questions