Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details

Customer Question

***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My 6 week old puppy has had a couple of poos tonight that are clear. She only does a little bit at a time. A little bit watery but not always. She is acting normal and ate her breakfast today.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.These watery stools sound like diarrhea and the stool is moving so fast through the system that it is losing its color. At this point if she is acting entirely normal (eating well, drinking normally, no vomiting and very active) then you can monitor. If this diarrhea persists, given her young age this is a clear indication she needs to be seen by her veterinarian today for an examination and some testing (stool check for parasites and viral screening such as for parovovirus). We cannot allow very loose stools to continue for long in a puppy of this age. They become very quickly dehydrated (to the point it can become life-threatening). If you only recently got her or she only recently (in the past week) transitioned to eating regular food, then this could be a part of the transition and therefore normal. So, again, as long as she is acting entirely normal and the stool inconsistency resolves itself in the next 24 hours, then no worries. However, that being said, most puppies have intestinal worms and I recommend you have her evaluated within the next week, even if she is doing great, for her first puppy visit and stool check and deowrming with her vet. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has lost appetite tonight and we have found dead worms in her stool. We wormed her 3 days ago. Is this just how they get rid of the dead worms from her body. She did vomit this morning as well.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry for the delay. For some reason your reply only popped up now. No, this is not typical for just passing worms. This makes me worry more about a viral problem like parvovirus. The dead worms mean the dewormer worked. Rarely it can cause transient loose stool for a half day or so but not vomiting. I must recommend you have her seen to be tested for parvo.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi she has her appetite back and seems to be back to normal. She is still pooping some dead worms but her poo is now brown and back to normal. No more vomitting only the once.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
This is just wonderful! I am so relieved she is back to normal with her appetite and attitude. This means probably not parvovirus (whew!).Perhaps she had a terrible reaction to the dewormer, then. There are some over-the-counter dewormers that do not work well (do not eliminate all the worms) and cause a lot of side effects (cramping, pain, diarrhea), in particular piperazine. Since she is still having worms in her stool, I recommend you phone her vet and get an appropriate (gentle) dewormer to clear these parasites once and for all.Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey