Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My little dog hasn't been eating normal. I took him to the vet on Monday and they di

Customer Question

My little dog hasn't been eating normal. I took him to the vet on Monday and they did blood work and everything came back normal. They gave him some anti nausea medicine and he was a bit dehydrated so they gave him fluids. That was Monday and he still hasn't really been back to normal. He is vaccinated up to date and takes Heartguard and Nexguard and is up to date.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Was he sent home with any medication? Which ones specifically?What tests were done?Any gagging, lip licking, retching, vomiting, or diarrhea?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Does he seem keen to eat and this struggles to?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He was not sent home with any meds. They did press around on his stomach and he didn't seem to be uncomfortable they said. I haven't checked his gums. I don't see any toys missing, nor do I suspect he has eaten any plant; however, he and my other dog stay at home during the day and I am not around him all day. No diarrhea, lip licking, gagging, etc. he is drinking water. He ate maybe a tablespoon of canned food last night. He is excited to go for a walk. Just not normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I am surprised that he wasn't sent home with any medication (an anti-nausea treatment to continue or appetite stimulant since his appetite is poor). As well, I am quite concerned that his signs have persisted despite their lack of findings. Especially since we have to be wary about foreign body ingestions and dietary indiscretions in dogs as young as Jack. Therefore, if he is no better, I would suggest ringing his vet and discussing whether they should xray his belly and make sure nothing is stuck.Otherwise, we'd want to try an allay that GI upset that is reducing his appetite. Now your vet can dispense strong prescription options (and may do so if you ring, since they did just see him). Though at the very least, we could try him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.If he settles with that, we can then consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk with him, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. Hopefully, he has been drinking well since he was seen, but we'd still be best to check. To do so and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then again we need him re-assessed.Overall, a wide range of agents could put a young dog off their food. Its good that his bloods were normal and that his vet didn't find anything overt on exam (ie dental issues, oral trauma, pain from pancreatitis). Still, if he isn't perking up then we would be concerned that something has missed. And as a young dog, we'd be wary of what he may have eaten and what might be in his gut. Therefore, I would suggest ringing his vet and updating them on his lack of improvement while starting supportive care. They may have you start additional treatment or they may need to xray that tummy to make sure there is nothing there that needs to be addressed for him. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )