Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My name is***** dog had his routine grooming today and

Customer Question

Hi my name is***** dog had his routine grooming today and she expressed my dog's anal glands and told me that the material was green Is this normal or i should take him yo the vet?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He is a cocker spaniel
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about the color of your pup's anal gland discharge.Anal gland discharge can vary quite a bit in color and consistency. It can be tan, gray, greenish or even look almost black in color. Consistency can be watery or thicker, almost cream or lotion like in consistency and still be normal.But if the discharge is a bright green or purulent looking, or has blood associated with it, especially if the dog has been scooting or licking his bottom more than usual then we need to consider that this may be related to an infection. And if the discharge is very thick and difficult to express that too points toward a problem.If in doubt that things aren't a they should be wait a few days for the anal glands to produce more discharge and have him checked by his veterinarian. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup, thanks, ***** *****