Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

She very seldom pants and she is licking her chops a lots latelyJA:

Customer Question

She very seldom pants and she is licking her chops a lots lately
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: She very seldom pants and she is licking her chops a lots lately
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesnt see to hurt anywhere.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is around 5 1/2 years old. She is a rescue Maltipoo.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cricket?
Customer: No nothing else is out of the ordinary.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're concerned about Cricket - I'll do my best to help!! You mentioned that Cricket seldom pants - is it the lack of panting that concerns you? Dogs typically only pant if they are warm, have been exercising, or are excited or anxious. So not panting would just simply mean that she's not hot, not excited or anxious, and hasn't been exercising. She will pant when she needs to - there is no medical disease that causes a dog not to pant. Lip licking or lip smacking most frequently indicates nausea, although it can also be a normal behavior for the dog depending on how often it's happening. It can also uncommonly signal that there's a problem in the mouth like something stuck in the teeth, a painful or abscessed tooth, or a wound or other uncomfortable problem in the mouth. If the lip licking is accompanied by panting and gagging or vomiting, then they are all related (stomach upset). Please let me know your thoughts and questions - I'm not sure exactly what type of info you're looking for since I don't see a specific question. I'd be happy to continue chatting. ~Dr. Sara----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Doc Sara