Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My name is ***** *****. My six year-old girl dog has been throwing

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My six year-old girl dog has been throwing up yellow bile/white foam and is having very runny diarrhea, with a little bit of blood in it.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: One of her bowel movements was almost entirely water with a little bit of blood. I've been feeding her some raw food at night time. Maybe the food I gave her last night had gone bad?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She's about 18 lbs. Pug/Pom/Chihuahua/***** ***** mix. In very good health. She's been scratching her tummy a lot lately also, but I don't see any fleas. Not sure if that could be at all related. She's thrown up in the past like this and been fine, but the diarrhea with traces of blood is new, to my memory. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Did you want to chat online or did you want a phone call?
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
This is DRB. Would you like to chat online or would you like a phone call?
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I will offer a phone call......
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Ok, since I am not hearing back from you I will have to opt out of this question and allow another expert to assist you. Take care, DRB
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry. A live chat would be fine...
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Hematochezia (blood in the stool) represents a colitis in the great majority of cases. Yes, raw food with a higher level of bacterial contamination than she could tolerate is a likely cause for her colitis. In most cases, these patients will remiss unaided within 72 hours of the onset of their symptoms. If she worsened instead or didn't remiss as expected, her vet will want to thoroughly examine her, replace her fluid and electrolyte loss with either subcutaneous or intravenous fluids, and administer an antibiotic such as metronidazole which has good efficacy against the usual Clostridial bacterial found in "food poisoning" cases. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.