Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My moms yorkie Kiya ate a dark chocolate stick that makes

Customer Question

My moms yorkie Kiya ate a dark chocolate stick that makes hot chocolate. She is 8 lbs will she be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since she ate it? 2- How many ounces or grams was the stick? 3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
20 to 30 mins
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes peroxide but tell us in spoons not ml
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you answering
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I was looking at the images you sent, it is somewhat blurred. Is the peroxide you have 3%?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was 33 grams 1.16 oz
Yes, I saw that it was 33 grams which can be very serious for an 8 lbs dog. This is what you can do:1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. 2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit I would have her checked by ER veterinarian for supportive care. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should she give her more peroxide. She has not vomited yet?
I will repeat what I wrote below: Yes, I saw that it was 33 grams which can be very serious for an 8 lbs dog. This is what you can do:1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. 2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit I would have her checked by ER veterinarian for supportive care.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay Kiya finally vomited and there is chocolate and white foam. Should my mom take her to the vet or watch her?
Do you feel comfortable in saying that most of the chocolate (stick) was in the vomit?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im sorry. Im not there Im just corresponding with my mom. These are the photos she sent. She also found she did not eat all of it.
Friend, the pictures are not going to help me as I did not see what she ate. I would ask your mother who saw the stick or what she ate and is seeing what is in the vomit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. I had much friendlier and more helpful answers and help when using this service in the past. Have a good night.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
I'll follow up for Dr. Peter for you. It would take ~1/6 of an ounce of dark chocolate per lb of body weight to intoxicate a dog with the theobromine in that chocolate causing vomiting, agitation and tremors. 8 lbs x 1/6 of an ounce/lb = 1.34 ounces. 1.34 ounces = 38 grams. Kiya ingested less than 33 grams and so vomiting and mild agitation are expected but not serious intoxication. Vomiting removed even more of the chocolate. I see no reason to induce emesis again nor treat in any manner. An over the counter antacid such as famotidine (Pepcid) can be administered at a dose of 5 mg (1/2 of a 10 mg tablet) in an attempt to provide Kiya comfort after her vomiting. Small dogs such as Kiya often suffer more agitation than larger dogs. If she became too agitated and tremored uncontrollably, an ER could sedate her until the theobromine left her system. The half life of theobromine is quite long - 17.5 hours. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Salkin. :)
You're welcome, Krysten. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.