Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I think my dog ate a razor blade JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

***** *****. I think my dog ate a razor blade
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well she got out of her crate today while we were at work, my razor that I use to shave my legs was on the bedroom floor and all that is left of it is the handle.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How much does she weigh? 2- How long has it been since she ate it?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She weighs 45lbs and it was sometime this morning
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello?
Friend, the concern with the ingestion of a razor blade as you may already know is the possibility of perforation of the gastrointestinal tract. I would strongly recommend having her checked by a veterinarian for xrays to see if she did eat the blade. And, if so, is it passing? In the meantime this is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.2- Do not induce vomiting, the blade can damage the esophagus on the way out making things worst. 3- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to bind the blade and help pass it in the feces while protecting the intestinal tract. Make sure you are checking her stool for the blade. 4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with ER veterinarian. These are all signs of potential obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, change her diet and follow up with a veterinarian for xrays. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We went to the emergency vet and had X-rays done. No sign of a razor blade
Great!