Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Can anesthesia change a dogs mind permanently? Since I had

Customer Question

Can anesthesia change a dogs mind permanently? Since I had my dogs teeth cleaned she is a changed dog not the same. She goes slowly up and down the stairs, hides has so more joy. Doesn't want to do the things she used to love. Took her back to the vet today and she told me everything is ok with her. But it is not, her behavior is strange. It is a week and a half now since her teeth cleaning. Can that stuff do something to there brain ? She seems very tired all the time. When we get home she is usually so happy and now it is like she is not so happy anymore. She dont even want to get up to greet us.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this girl's change of behavior. Can you tell me her name? Did they do any blood work prior to the procedure? Is she still eating and drinking ok? Was the dental cleaning pretty routine as far as no extractions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Roxy is her name. Yes they did blood work before. The cleaning was routine. They told me she has good teeth. She is drinking and eating but not as much as she used too. This might seem crazy but she seems depressed to me.
Thank you for all that information about Roxy. That is good that she's still eating and drinking. It is good that the blood work before hand was normal. Anesthesia itself shouldn't cause any long standing mental / physical changes. That is the way it is supposed to be - it provides a period of no consciousness so procedures that wouldn't be tolerated otherwise can be done. Could something have happened during the procedure or anesthesia that could cause long term effects? That is possible but usually very, very low. Could a period of hypoxia or decreased blood pressures develop? Honestly, anesthetic procedures are done for spays, neuters, dentals, etc... routinely and the residual effects of long term personality changes aren't really seen. Could the pure "stress" of being at the vet's office and waking up from the procedure have her a little off for a period of time? Some can be stressed and they need time to get back into the routine of things. I would hope that here in the next week or so, with you're continuing to interact with her and stimulate her, that she'd be getting back to her normal self. The best you can do is to try to keep everything the same and I'm hopeful she'll be back to normal soon. If there was any big dental issues, then the possibility of oral discomfort from the procedure would be a possibility