Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My name is ***** ***** and my dog Zoyee is 7 yr old and a Yorkie/Poo.

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and my dog Zoyee is 7 yr old and a Yorkie/Poo. She has trouble with not wanting to eat and was put on pregnizone when she began to throw up and have coilitis. My question is it possible that something else is wrong even though no one can figure this out?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need? I need to know what to tell you. She wakes up sometimes shaking and wants me to hold heer. She tries to go to the bathroom and only has stringy bowel secretion come out and sometimes a small fever. When She seems to be in pain she goes to the vet for a shot and then in about an hour, she's ready to eat. This is so confusing to me. She has stopped curling up and is stretching out her body. So confusing and no definite answer.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple of questions to see if I can better assess your situation, though?Is she still on prednisone?Do you know the name of the injection that your vet gives her when she is in pain?Has your vet ran any blood work, taken any x-ray, got an ultrasound? If so, which tests has your vet ran?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes to prednisone, now every day by pill. The injection I can't be sure and sometimes my dog gets pain medication in with the shot. We just did her senior panel and everything is good except her having some type of digestion problem. That's all I know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No xray or ultrasound
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information. It sounds like there is still an underlying medical issue that needs to be uncovered. The problem is that she will need to have more testing ran. From what you are describing and her response to prednisone, my first thought is that she has an issue with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). I would also want to rule out pancreatitis, pancreatic insufficiency, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), a long standing GI infection (i.e.; bacterial, protozoal, fungal), adrenal gland insufficiency or potential gastrointestinal lymphoma. First and foremost, I would recommend an abdominal ultrasound to evaluate all the organs better but more specifically evaluate the lining of the intestinal tract. I would want to know if it is thickened and if there are any enlarged lymph nodes in the area. If thickened, then IBD and lymphoma need to be ruled out. Unfortunately, a biopsy of the intestinal tract is needed for a definitive diagnosis. With IBD, though, she will most likely need to stay on prednisone or some other immune system modulating drug and a hypoallergenic diet long term. I would also run a GI blood panel on her. Check her pancreatic lipase, TLI (for pancreatic insufficiency) and her serum cobalamin/folate (for SIBO). Many of these guys are deficient in cobalamin, which is necessary for absorption and intestinal cell health. I would consider a fecal culture as well, but it wouldn't be the first thing I do if going in a step wise progression. I would also consider doing a coritsol screen to see if she may have adrenal insufficiency. That could cause chronic gastrointestinal problems and will response to prednisone. I hope this is the information you are looking for. If not, please let me know. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John