Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

I have a flat-coated retriever, she's 7 years old, about 75

Customer Question

I have a flat-coated retriever, she's 7 years old, about 75 lbs. normal activity, I.m concerned because she poops less than my 25 lbs shelty. Is this normal?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If the stool is normal, she is not loosing or gaining weight, and she seems normal otherwise, it shouldn't be a concern. Just like in humans, every dog will have a difference in their digestion and absorption. If she is defecating 1-2 times a day, that is fine. Now, if your sheltie seems to have excessive defecation, or if is is loose, foul smelling or has mucus on it, then she may have a digestive problem. If they are on different diets, that can sometimes have something to do with it. All in all, though, if both of their stool is normal, and they are not vomiting, losing or gaining weight and seem to be acting normal otherwise; I wouldn't worry too much about it. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.