Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog is trembling slightly and is acting depressed. He is

Customer Question

My dog is trembling slightly and is acting depressed. He is normally very energetic. He is a year and a half year old Boston terrier. No diet change, normal bow movements. This started yesterday. I noticed the shaking this morning.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Angie
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am sorry that your Boston is not feeling well and no one has assisted you yet today. Is he eating? Is he walking hunched or hesitating to walk/ do steps/ stairs? The trembling is common when they are feeling general malaise and not necessarily just an indicator of fear or being chilly. With his breed I want to rule out any issues with his back first and foremost. I will wait for your response...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He hasn't eaten yet today but often he (and his sister Boston) wait until afternoon to eat so that's not completely unusual. No hunching. No walking weird. I've had this breed my whole life and have never heard of them having back issues?? His breath is a little stinky, which isn't normal.
Unfortunately Boston's are at risk for back issues because they tend to have hemi or shortened vertebrae or even missing one in some cases!So he will walk around the house but is trembling...will he take a treat or interact with you and your other dog or is he isolating himself?
I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. I will opt out and see if there is another veterinarian that can make calls.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
It appears that the request for a phone call has been removed and so I'll follow up for Dr. Altman for you. May I have an update on your Boston, please? Trembling/shaking and a behavior change to depression suggest discomfort, fever, or both but not the source of these symptoms. Have additional symptoms arisen that might help localize his condition? Can you check his vital signs for me, please?1) Check his gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to his tissues).2) Check his respiratory rate at rest. He should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute at rest.3) Take his rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into his rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!Please let me know what you find.