Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have been bottle feeding 8 puppies now 12 weeks old. Their

Customer Question

I have been bottle feeding 8 puppies now 12 weeks old. Their stools started out being light yellow but the past couple of days the color has changed to a grayish color. What could be going on. I have been feeding them the powdered puppy formula.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello. At this age, these puppies can be weaned. I usually recommend weaning at 5-6 weeks of age. Once they have teeth, they can eat solid food. I usually have owners give a gruel type of food initially ~ 4-5 weeks of age and then start on dry food once ~ 6 weeks of age. At 12 weeks, they are plenty old enough. Milk replacer is not enough for puppies of this age. That is probably why the stools are changing color. The puppies are trying to get every bit of nutrients out of the food and that is what is left. I would also have a fecal exam done to look for parasites. Coccidia and Giardia can change the color of the stools like this, as well. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.