Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 6 month old puppy has "puppy mange". she is being treated

Customer Question

My 6 month old puppy has "puppy mange". she is being treated by our vet with Ivermectin and medicated shampoo. We noticed she tries to urinate frequently..successful the first time, and then she keeps squatting attempting to go more. The vet tested her for a UTI and it was negative. We've noticed her vulva is swollen (the vet did not mention this). Could this be the mites in that area and should it respond to treatment, or do we need to take her back to the vet for this?
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlotte
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She's a "pound puppy" - not sure what mix (we think collie is in her, though).
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about sweet Charlottes conditions. It is not unusual for puppies to develop demodectic mange because their own immune system is not mature enough to fight this off. As they mature, they will be able to fight off the overgrowth of this mange mite which is normal flora on their skin. Also, most likely, puppies can develop a vaginitis that will cause this urge to urinate. This problem is not associated with the mange issue but may be related to the treatment. We will often treat Charlotte with antibiotics for the urination issue and treat for the mange if it is really bad. If it is minor, this will resolve on its own once Charlottes own immune system matures. Take Charlotte back to your vet for a recheck and possible treatment for the PUPPY VAGINITIS. This LINK will explain in more detail. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta