Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Dr Harry I have a German Short Haired Pointer that every

Customer Question

Hello Dr Harry I have a German Short Haired Pointer that every year breaks out in a very angry rash. Her stomach turns red with welts her left ears swells while the rash runs rampant. We have tried so many cures but nothing appears to work. Presently we give her Phenergan Antihistamine Tablets which seems to offer some relief but certainly doesn't cure the rash. One vet referred to the rash as Queensland itch. What do you suggest/
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. If you would like to discuss your lass's case with me, can you tell me what dose of Phenergan are you giving?What is her weight?Does she get any pimples, pustules, scabbing, or crusts with this rash?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her dose of phenergan is 23mg twice daily. Yes she gets pimples and pustules, crusting and scabs from scratching.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Can you give me an idea of her weight so I can appreciate if there is any wiggle room on that dose?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Now I have quite a bit to type in reply. So, I do need a moment but will post shortly.Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again, First, I would just note that “Queensland itch” is a term referring to allergic skin reactions in horses due to the bite of Culicoides (midges). It is possible to seen dogs have similar reactions but with seasonal allergies like you have described, pollens and plant allergens would be our top concern for this situation. Furthermore, if you are seeing those skin changes I asked about, those are signs of bacterial infection. This can be secondary to allergies but tends to be an itchy issue itself and means there is something else we need to be addressing. With this in mind, we would want to be more aggressive in our care here. To start, the dose of Phenergan you have listed is only a 1.15mg/kg dose. Furthermore, we find this drug more effective as a one daily dosing (ideally in the morning to keep her comfortable during the day). Therefore, with how its being given now, she is getting half the base dose for a dog her size at any one time. Therefore, we'd be best to switch to once daily dosing and using at least 40mg and up to 100mg to give this a chance to counter the suspect allergy for her. As well, if we are seeing pimples/pustules, then we may need to start by treating the infection too. If it is diffuse and all over, then we'd want her vet to start systemic/oral antibiotics here. Though if this is mild and something she is prone to, we could use Malaseb shampoo (a great antibacterial /antifungal shampoo we use with dogs). And for dogs that are prone, we do often use this as a preventative every week or so to just keep he skin in check. Afterwards, if there are only small areas affected at the moment, you could apply an OTC antibiotic cream (ie Neosporin) twice daily. Though again if it is quite diffuse, systemic/oral antibiotics tend to be more effective. Also I would note that if we wanted to use steroids to reduce inflammation but avoid those appetite side effects, you can use a topical hydrocortisone cream or spray to at least soothe the problem areas for her. Finally, if you adjust the antihistamine dose and she is still irritated; then I would advise speaking to her vet about immune modulating drugs. Atopica and Apoquel are two very good options for allergy dogs when we want to avoid the adverse effects of steroids. So, these could be considered for her. As well, if her vet genuinely things midge bites are triggering her signs, we'd also want to get them to dispense an anti-parasitic treatment to deter their bites while also using treatments at home (ie fly strips, sprays, etc) to keep the midges at bay for her. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?