Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 10 year old male mini poodle terrier mix. A like

Customer Question

I have a 10 year old male mini poodle terrier mix. A like bit ago, I noticed his stool was thin like a pencil. I also heard the sound of air being released when he was trying to defecate. Is this something that requires immediate medical attention?
Submitted: 7 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Did he strain to pass this stool?How long ago did he possibly eat the tape? How much do you think he has had?Does his belly seem tender, hard, sore or distended when you press on it?Has he been castrated?Does he seem distressed at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Approximately eight hours ago, I saw him with a ball of masking tape in his mouth. I was able to get it out of his mouth but he had small pieces stuck to the side of his face. He hasn't acted like his distressed-no rapid breathing or lethargy. He has been alert and barking. I'm not even certain that he swallowed any of the tape and thus have been watching him closely. I didn't see any tape in his stool. However, he was straining when he passed the stool and I could hear what sounded like air slowly being released from s balloon. I felt his abdomen and its soft not hard. He's sleeping now. I haven't seen any vomiting or diarrhea.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,While a partial obstruction is one concern for his stool changes, if he only possibly had masking tape 8 hours ago then this is a red herring since it would not be that low in the gut yet to cause these signs. Still, can you tell me if he has been castrated? And was it when he was young?