Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My son's Australian shepherd was diagnosed with inflammatory

Customer Question

my son's Australian shepherd was diagnosed with inflammatory brain disease. traditional meds offer minimal relief, a MRI shows the inflammation near her brain stem. what are other options? this condition causes her circle left with her head remaining cocked in that position.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 months ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. I am so sorry to hear about Cali's condition. I know this is very scary.This inflammatory condition must be coming from something...it is either trauma, infection or tumor that has not yet been seen on the MRI. The only treatment available is steroids which Cali is on and antibiotics just in case this is caused by an infection. Fungal infections have also been found in the brain so the antibiotics should include an anti fungal medication. After beginning the treatment, subsequent MRI's should be done to see if there has been progress. Some tumors that are benign may have the possibility of being removed and since Cali is so young, it is important that you send her to a Veterinary Neurologist to be sure that this is being treated correctly. Your vet can refer you to one near you. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cali. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta