Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

5 week old puppies have disarrah what to treat it with it has

Customer Question

5 week old puppies have disarrah what to treat it with it has total liquid
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now if all the pups have liquid diarrhea, we need to tread with great care. This is because dogs this young are very high risk for dehydration and nutrient/energy loss from severe diarrhea. Furthermore, with all the pups affected, this suggests an infectious agent (ie bacterial, protozoal, viral, or parasitic) or a possible shared exposure (if they have been fed something that hasn't agreed with them). With this all in mind, the ideal first step would be to have a stool sample tested by their vet. This is something you can submit even before they are seen and you can even pool samples from multiple pups to be tested (as it will keep costs down and we are likely to treat all affected based on the test results). And that way we can get to the root cause quickly and ensure we are targeting treatment to settle this for them. Otherwise, in the meantime, we can start supportive care. If they have been weaned, then we’d want to consider a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Whichever you choose, you can add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or all bran to help bulk up their stools. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea passed. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). If they are all hydrated after you check, I would note that you can supplement their fluid intake to keep them from dehydration. If they are bottle fed, we often will water this down with electrolytes (ie Lectaid, Pedialyte, etc). Otherwise, we may need to syringe fluids. If we need to do so, be aware that they daily requirement would be 48ml per kilogram of their weight plus an amount to match their diarrhea losses. Of course, we can subtract anything they drink themselves from that total. And if you were to give these fluids through the day and saw vomiting, we'd need to hold off on this (since that would be counter productive).Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, we do need to tread with care if all the pups have severe diarrhea. So, we'd want to start the above supportive care to reduce the diarrhea volume and keep them hydrated. Otherwise, since this sounds infectious, we'd want to have a stool sample tested so we can identify the cause to ensure we treat it effectively and get them settled as quickly as possible. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about I Have 10 Puppies. How is everything going?