Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog will be 10 yrs old this ***** *****. He's sluggish,

Customer Question

my dog will be 10 yrs old this ***** *****. He's sluggish, walks funny with his tail down. he doesn't want to run, jump up/down one step. he's eating and drinking very little, but he's pooping and peeing fine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: nothing else to say. thats pretty much it what can be wrong with him
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has he had these signs?Any retching, gagging, lip licking or vomiting?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly,does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Any soreness in his back, hips, if you lift his tail? Any changes (swellings, lumps, sores) around the anus?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?­­What is odd about his walking? Is he dragging his legs, walking on the tops of his paws, limping, etc?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He's not gagging or vomiting. His gums seems pink. He seem like he's tender around his belly. He's walking but kind of dragging his legs. It looks like his back is higher than the front of his body when he walks. Not even. I can't really tell if his anus is swellen because of the way he's standing but he doesn't have any lumps or sores around his anus. Yesterday I gave him a bath and blow dry his hair but he didn't want to stand. He was sitting and laying down. He only eats dog food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Based on your description, it does sound like your lad is hunched up and that would explain the odd walk and his reluctance to jump (which puts pressure on the abdominal contents). This is something we will see with back and belly based pain. Though if he is tender around his belly, then that is likely the source of discomfort. In regards ***** ***** causes for this, we can see belly discomfort of this nature with pancreatitis, severe gastroenteritis, but also with inflammation or masses associated with the organs in the abdomen. As well, we could see this with gut twists (though usually they are terribly sore and quick to deteriorate) and ingestion of foreign bodies but we'd hope that'd be less likely at his age. With this in mind and with his showing overt pain signs despite the brave face, it would be ideal to get his local vet involved. They can pinpoint the focus of his discomfort, ultrasound or xray to rule out masses or organ compromise, and start treatment with gut safe pain relief by injection +/- anti-nausea treatment and fluids. Otherwise, until you can have him seen, I'd note that you can try him with an antacid to see if we can get him eating for us. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Once that has had time to absorb, we'd want to start tempting him to eat. Favorites are allowed or you can try a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. They are also of benefit in pancreatitis causes. Since dehydration is a risk with his drinking poorly, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, your lad's signs tell us that he is in pain with what is likely an abdominal based issue. Therefore, despite that brave face telling us otherwise, we'd want to be proactive here for him. We can use the above just now to try to soothe his stomach and avoid dehydration. But otherwise with these signs, we'd want to have him seen so we can get to the root of this quickly, get him on pain relief, and address this so he can get back to feeling like his comfortable self. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )