Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She has a bad seizure and is now pacing and will not lay down.

Customer Question

She has a bad seizure and is now pacing and will not lay down. Normally after a seizure people/pets go to sleep.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: My dogs name is ***** ***** she is 8 this is the 1st time she has had a Seizure however she has not been her self laying around a lot and walking around like she is drunk. she also acts like she is in pain from her back legs. I took her to the Vet about 2 weeks ago and the did blood work and could not find anything.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?
Customer: Rosie is a pure breed Boarder Collie
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
You're correct - sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) behavior. If she continues to pace she's likely to be in status epilepticus - the state in which central nervous agitation doesn't abate until I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Her walking around "like a drunk" prior to this seizure was another indication of encephalopathy - brain disorder. Brain tumor is an important differential diagnosis in seizing dogs over 6 years of age. It would be prudent to have an on-call vet sedate Rosie at this time lest she exhaust herself by aimlessly pacing.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?