Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My son had acquired a dog that itches alot and has some sores,

Customer Question

My son had acquired a dog that itches alot and has some sores, he is very tight on money so he wants to give her human dose of keflex he haa
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has lost some fir around her mouth, has some sore from itching all the time tried giving her coconut oil, benadryl. ..he thinks it could be a staff infection
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Keflex { Cephalexin } is commonly prescribed for dogs with skin conditions and a usual dose rate would be between 10 to 15 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given twice a day for seven days or so. { 12.5 mg / pound would be a usual sort of dose. } 2. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of what I have said and read further on the subject : LINK 3. It could be a staph infection of course and in that case Cephalexin could be very effective but be aware that there are a range of other possibilities including sarcoptic mange so if the dog does not quickly respond then your son should somehow seek hands on veterinary help. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,I am just checking back in to see how your son's dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Cephalexin in the dog... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.