Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 5 lb maltipoo 4 months old and I think she ate 75

Customer Question

I have a 5 lb maltipoo 4 months old and I think she ate 75 mg venflexinr
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I think she ate an anti depressant venflexine 75 mg at about 2 this afternoon she was fine now she seems sedated
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :1. I am not in your time zone, how many hours or minutes did your dog swallow this drug? You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
10 hrs ago
Hello again Maria I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Well it is now too late to try and recover this drug by inducing vomiting since this has to be done within the first two hours after ingestion so all you can do is to nurse and support your dog while the drug works it's way out of her system. 2. While there can be no guarantees the toxic dose for this drug in the dog has been published at 94 mg/kg of your dog's bodyweight. Your dog weighs 2.27 kg so her dose is 34.09 mg/kg, so things may not be so serious but it is likely that you will see side effects such as sedation. 3. If your dog slowly return to normal over the next 24 hours then the chances are that things should work out OK but if you are in any doubt you should have her checked over by a vet.I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again Maria,I am just checking back in to see how your Maltipoo is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Venflexine ingestion ... Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.Regards,Dr ScottPlease be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.