Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 10 lb dog has had a few issues the last few days with her

Customer Question

My 10 lb dog has had a few issues the last few days with her BMs. Yesterday I came home from work to a large pile of mucusy-poop and 4 bloody-mucusy clumps. I haven't fed her since yesterday morning and today she did poop and 90% of it was solid, but the last part was mucusy and had a little blood. She then walked about 10 feet and pooped a mucusy-blood drop (about the size of a dime) and then walked another 10 feet and did the same thing. Should i take her into a vet right away?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any vomiting? 2- Is she lethargic? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1 - no vomiting
2 - not lethargic - her normal playful self
3 - her stomach has been making squeaking noises (thought it could of been her being hungry) and has had some bad gas
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, when we see mucus with blood in the stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). This can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. The fact that she is not showing other symptoms this is not an emergency and it can wait to see family vet in the morning. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- If she has been off food since the morning I would feed her rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up in the morning with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination; if possible take a stool sample to the office visit.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter