Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

About a week ago my dog ate some glass pieces. He has been

Customer Question

About a week ago my dog ate some glass pieces. He has been having very loose stools with some drops of blood.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: coal age 6
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coal
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Other than that he seems fine.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has he had diarrhea with blood? 2- Any vomiting? 3- Is he lethargic? 4- How much does Coal weigh? 5- Can you give me an idea of how much glass he ate?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he ate about 3 to 5, half inch pieces. Over about a two week period. The diarrhea hand drops of blood in his stool about the same 2 weeks. No vomiting. No other changes in behavior. He turned 6 this year.
Friend, when we see loose bloody stool it is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). Could this be related to the glass? Yes. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, IBS or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes.In this case, we are somewhat limited what you will be able to do at home. I would strongly recommend hands on examination with family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. 2- Change his diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.