Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.

We have been giving our dog subcutaneous fluids

Customer Question

We have been giving our dog subcutaneous fluids for several months now and he is starting to no longer tolerate it. Will increasing the amount of water he ingests provide the same benefit?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When we first brought him to the vet his BUN level was in the 200's. Now after treatment and Sub q's it's more in the 40 range. Weight, appetite and energy are all good.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is some more info. My dog weighs five lbs. We have been giving him 150cc's every other day. Vet wanted us to give a half of cup of water on the days he's not getting sub q's. The last week or so, he "fights" us when we're trying to give the sub q's (he jerks all around and it's nearly impossible to insert the needle w/out the fear of stabbing him) -- we can get him to drink a cup full of water throughout the day without any problems, by adding to his wet food (and its like a porridge) or adding a splash of milk to his water. And just for details purposes - his BUN was 261 on 2/26 and his latest was 48 on 4/2. His Creatinine, phosphorus, blood sugar, SDMA, etc. all went significantly down too.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I can understand your concern about giving your dog sq fluids if he resists you so strenuously when you try to do so. The stress involved in forcing the procedure on him is not going to be good for him nor would hurting him (or yourself) in the process be particularly desirable! If he were my patient and he was as stable as you describe and given the fact that his numbers have so dramatically improved, I'd have to wonder if he had an acute injury to his kidneys which is no longer an issue. My suggestion would be to stop the sq fluids, increase his fluid consumption by the means you mention and then recheck his values in 4-6 weeks or perhaps a little sooner. If he's continues to be stable, then there's no value to giving him fluids under the skin. If his values start to increase again, then the sq fluids can be restarted...or at least you can consider this option at that time. You may already know this but the fluid amount which a healthy dog requires would be 1 ounce per pound of body weight within a 24 hour period....five ounces in other words for a 5 pound dog or more if dehydrated. I hope this helps. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb