Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog squeezed and now his nose is bleeding. What should

Customer Question

My dog squeezed and now his nose is bleeding. What should I do? It sounds like he is stuffed up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its been 15 minutes?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand that you are concerned about your pup sneezing blood and I'd like to help. Is his gum color a nice bubblegum pink, or are they very pale/white? A nice pink color tells me his bleeding isn't a significant amount.If you look at his gums and the skin of his abdomen can you see any signs of purple/red spots? See these links for examples:1) http://vet.uga.edu/ivcvm/courses/VPAT5200/01_circulation/hemorrhage/images/Quiz4.jpg2) http://www.vetbook.org/wiki/dog/images/6/6b/ITP01.jpg If you can get his bleeding stopped and he remains comfortable with good color and remains so he can wait to see his veterinarian tomorrow, unless you are noticing Possible reasons for these symptoms are bacterial, fungal, tick borne or viral infections, a foreign body in the nose, a polyp or mass in the nose or a tooth root infection.Rarely the cause is a clotting disorder, but I would have expected him to have other symptoms of that including blood in his urine, bruising under the skin or on his gums, and difficulty breathing due to blood in his chest. Dogs with a clotting disorder also tend to bleed equally from both sides of the nose. Is that the case with him?Clotting disorders can be congenital, secondary to tick borne diseases or secondary to autoimmune disease (body attacks itself).Sneezing and reverse sneezing are signs of nasal and pharyngeal irritation.With nasal irritation we can also see a nasal discharge which can be yellow, white, green, mucoid or even bloody in character. In some cases with long term infections or a mass we can even see nasal bone destruction and swelling or changes in nose conformation or around the eye. Has he had any sneezing and/or nasal discharge before this? Diagnosis of a the problem behind these symptoms can be complicated. We may need to perform radiographs of the nose and sinuses looking for changes in the bones or full sinuses, nasal flushes and scoping to collect culture and biopsy specimens and sometimes blood titers to look for the infection (especially if we are suspicious of a fungal infection). Things that you can do that aren't too expensive include checking a complete blood count and biochemistry profile. I would also recommend checking his blood pressure.If those tests come back normal then looking for a tooth root infection, a foreign body or polyp with a nasal scope and radiographs of his tooth roots, nose and sinuses under sedation would be recommended. For now try to keep him quiet, the more excited he is the more his blood pressure is up & the more he will bleed. You can put a bag of frozen vegetables on the outside bridge of his nose, that may stop the bleeding.Then have him see his regular veterinarian in the morning.If the bleeding won't stop and you don't have access to veterinary care then you can purchase "Little Noses" decongestant and put 1-2 drops in each nostril. This can temporarily stop the bleeding.If you have lots of ticks in your area then your veterinarian may prescribe a course of Doxycycline while you wait for test results as Doxycycline is good for tick borne and respiratory tract infections. Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Sorry for some reason part of my response is missing." If you can get his bleeding stopped and he remains comfortable with good color and remains so he can wait to see his veterinarian tomorrow, unless you are noticing.." the rest is " very pale/white gums, bruising in other parts of his body (gums, skin of his belly or bottom of his chest), difficulty breathing or a fast respiratory rate and inability to rest comfortably. Then he should be seen tonight on an emergency basis."
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hi Theresa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara