Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 12 and a half year old australian shepherd was limping

Customer Question

My 12 and a half year old australian shepherd was limping so I gave him a duralactin. He threw it up with som yellow stuff then didn't want to eat the rest of the day. The next day I got him to eat some scrambled egg and the third day he wouldn't eat the egg so I cooked some chicken which he wouldn't eat unless I put peanut butter on it. Now he won't eat anything but still drinks. He seems a little weak and and not himself. Still walks outside to pee but slower than usual. The original limp on the front paw seems better. He might have sprained it jumping off the couch! I know prt of the problem could be his age but his sister is perfectly fine!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am so sorry to hear about your pup! Have you been giving him baby aspirin this whole time? That could be part of your problem with the appetite issue. Aspirin can be very tough on a dog's stomach and in some cases can cause GI ulcers, so if you are still using it, I would stop it right away. How much was he taking and how much does he weigh?