Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

My 13 year old lab recently passed away. He suddenly got weak

Customer Question

My 13 year old lab recently passed away. He suddenly got weak one nite, took him to the emergency clinic and he had a high fever and no platelets. My question is that they did a 4x snap test. Lyme, , EC-EE, HW were all negative, but ap.spp was positive. He had no signs of being sick prior to getting weak. Would this test be 100% accurate that he had no Lyme, EC-EE, and Heartworm and totally accurate for the positive result of ap.spp?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 6 months ago.
Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short.I am sorry to hear about the recent passing of your pet. These must be troubling times for you as a pet owner. I do have information to help you understand how these tests work. To address your question, the snap tests are testing specifically for antibodies (immune response immunoglobulins that the pet releases in response to a pathogen in the bloodstream). Therefore a pet only has to be exposed to the pathogen (disease) in order to produce antibodies against it. However, just because a pet produces antibodies does not mean that they are fully infected with the disease in question. Take for instance a pet shows up positive on a snap test but has no symptoms of lyme disease. Therefore another test can then be done on the pets blood to specifically look for the antigen present in the bloodstream. This is called testing for antigen Titers. If the dogs titers are above a certain level, then it can be confirmed that that pet truly is infected with Lyme. So as you can see the snap test is not definitive, but more of a screening test for pets to give us some indication of their status but not the complete picture. So for your pet the snap test is extremely sensitive in picking up lyme and Ehrlichia making it nearly 100% accurate in ruling out these disease processes. Because anaplasmosis causes a dangerously low Platelet level with fever, it can be safe to assume that this disease process if what ultimately led to your pets demise. Again my deepest condolences for the loss of your pet. : (Please let me know if you have any questions so far about the information given and I will be more than happy to continue the conversation. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you and take care. - Dr. H