Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog was used in a puppy mill, so her

Customer Question

Hello. My dog was used for breeding in a puppy mill, so her nipples are very abnormal and exaggerated. They've always been a pinkish color, but I noticed yesterday that they've turned dark... almost blackish.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your puppy?
Customer: hello?
JA: Hi. What seems to be the problem?
Customer: My dog was used for breeding in a puppy mill, so her nipples are very abnormal and exaggerated. They've always been a pinkish color, but I noticed yesterday that they've turned dark... almost blackish.
JA: Where does your puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: she doesn't hurt
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sophie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sophie?
Customer: she has kidney disease
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.How many nipples are affected?Do you know when her last heat cycle was?Is it possible for you to take a picture of the affected nipple(s) and post them or attach them to your next message?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All of them.
I'm not sure when her last heat cycle was. I got her in July of 2015 and we discovered fairly quickly she had pyometra and she had emergency surgery. I can upload a picture later this evening, she is not with me at the moment.
They don't seem to hurt or bother her any.
Thanks for the information. A picture would help greatly, but I may still be able to help you some until you can get it. Is the black color more the skin or debris on the skin?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
good question. I'm pretty sure it's the skin but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the information. If it is black debris, that is not uncommon for some female dogs to get, especially if they have been pregnant and nursed. Sometimes you have to be concerned with an infection, but that is less likely if every nipple is involved. It could just be a hormonal issue that may resolve. Some nipples tend to get inverted some, and the debris builds up that way. Either way, keeping the area clean is really all that is needed, unless it gets worse or the area is very red and inflamed. If it is the skin, it is not uncommon to see that darker color just due to chronic suckling from puppies. Skin tends to turn black from chronic trauma. You see it a lot with some dogs always scratching from allergies. You can also see it due to thyroid issues as well, so checking a thyroid panel (I would check a full blood panel with thyroid) may be a good idea. Lastly, either condition can be caused by allergies, so controlling allergies may be necessary. Like I said, if you can get a picture tonight, that may help more. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.