Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 8yr Lab has been on Phenabarbital 64.8mg yrs nownbecause

Customer Question

My 8yr Lab has been on Phenabarbital 64.8mg for 4 yrs nownbecause of seizures unknown cause but mess have been successful from 1 day to next her whole behavior has changed in a major way.. VERY CLINGING,SCARED WILL NOT LET YOU OUT OF SIGHT!! ALWAYS RUNS RIGHT OUT TO POTTY NOW JUST STANDS REALLY HAVE TO COAX HER OUT, WILL NOT GO TO HER BED NUNUTSTAND. PLEASE HELP...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.Her behavior has been like this since you started the medication 4 years ago, or is this a recent occurrence?How often is she having seizures now?When was the last time her phenobarbital levels were checked?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm sorry my mistake no my 8yr lab has been successfully on her mess for 4yrs this major change in behavior started yesterday. Total change please help!!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I mean mess not mess
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information. Well, it is possible that this could be a behavioral issue. Make sure nothing in or around the house may be causing her to be scared or anxious. It could be new people, pets, construction, loud noises, storms, etc. If her phenobarbital levels haven't been checked recently, it may be a good idea to check them in case this may be some sort of petite mal seizure or even reaction to the levels being so high. It is possible that there could be some other issues going on as well with the liver, kidneys, thyroid, etc. It sounds like it may be more of a behavioral issue. Something may be spooking her. If she is eating and not vomiting or having diarrhea, it should be okay to monitor her for a while longer. If this has been going on for 24 hours or longer, if she is not eating, or if there is any vomiting or diarrhea; I would have your vet check her out today. Blood work would be a good idea. At the very least, they can prescribe something for anxiety to see if that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.