Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic

I have a male lab that just turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago.

Customer Question

I have a male lab that just turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago. For the past month and half he will have diarrhea every two weeks. We switched him from purina puppy chow to whole earth farms puppy food and not to hills science diet large breed adult food. We originally switched him from puppy chow to whole earth farms so he could eat better food. When we switched to whole earth he started the diarrhea so we transitioned him to science diet. He is good with science but every 2 weeks he will start diarrhea again. I won't feed him for like a day and then his stool will be fine again for about 2 weeks then we start the process all over again. We never had any problems at all when he was eating puppy chow
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 6 months ago.
Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet Vaught today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you noticing any blood in the urine? Is he on any heartworm prevention?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no blood in the urine. He isn;t on heart worm meds right now. He needed some last month and we just haven't been able to go get it. There has been no blood at all until this morning in his diarrhea. It wasn't much it one drop from when he was straining and didn't have anything else to come out of him.
Okay thanks for the additional information. Have you every had his feces tested for intestinal parasites? With Vaught being a young dog I would recommend ruling out intestinal parasites if it hasn't been rule out yet. That is one of the most common causes for diarrhea or blood in the feces. Otherwise I would suspect that he may have developed a sensitivity to the food he is eating. He may need to be on a special gastrointestinal diet and possibly some type of probiotic.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
they did a floatation thing on his stool when he was like 6 months old and said he was in good health. IS that what you are talking about? What is a gastrointestinal diet?
Yes I was talking about the fecal flotation. If it was done 6 months ago. I would recommend repeating it since the diarrhea started about a month ago. He still can get intestinal parasites in between that time especially if he isn't on heartworm preventation.
A gastrointestinal diet is basically a bland diet that is low in fat that is gentle on the digestive system. So it helps with dogs with the diarrhea
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok so as far as trying to switch his diet is this something that I need to do slowly or do I just up and switch food on him like a science diet sensitive stomach food?
This is a diet you can put him on immediately because it is a sensitivity diet. So there is no need to do it gradually. But if he is coming off that diet then you would gradually take him off of it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok cool deal. if this is the problem do you think he will have to stay on this type of diet the rest of his life? Also any recomendation on what type of food to try with him on this diet?
He may not have to
I would definitely rule out intestinal parasites and keep him on Heartworm prevention since that has
a dewormer in it. As far as food you can try anything that has a sensitive stomach label. Hills and Eukanuba has these types of diets
Otherwise you can get a prescription diet from your veterinarian as well