Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My 11 yr old female GSD is beginning her cycle, minor spotting

Customer Question

My 11 yr old female GSD is beginning her cycle, minor spotting already. All seems normal except she seems reluctant to & seems to experience discomfort when lowering her rear end down to lay down (she's up to date on all shots and takes Advantage Multi monthly).
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. The signs you're seeing may be due to her being in heat. It may also be some arthritis in the hips or back causing the signs. If you want to give something to help with mild pain, you can give Aspirin at home. The dose in dogs that is safe, is 5 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 12-24 hours, as needed. If you go to a vet, they will likely give some Rimadyl, this is a safer anti-inflammatory that is made for dogs. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. We do have some Rimadyl here that her regular vet gave her for some arthritic issues in the past year. I can use that. I guess her heat exascurbates her arthritis? Obviously, pyometra is the greatest concern, but I've not read that her symptom is an indicator of that. Is that a correct conclusion? I've observed no other symptoms. I've not seen her this uncomfortable before but she is getting older. BTW you may wonder why she's not spayed - we adopted her while living in Bavaria, Germany (although she's a Czech stock GSD), our Germen vet was very "old school" and discouraged any "modification" i.e. spay. Once we returned to the US, we felt our dog was too old for elective surgery. :(
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
That would be great if you have Rimadyl. I would go ahead and use that. With the hormone changes during a heat cycle, we can see some discomfort and joint flare ups. It doesn't sound like Pyo to me. Those dogs typically have discharge from the vulva. It wouldn't hurt to take a rectal temperature on her, though. If it's normal (100-102), then Pyo is even less likely. If > 103, then I would consider going in to ultrasound her and make sure it's not a closed Pyo. The other big thing with Pyo, is that they drink and urinate more frequently. If you see those signs, then again I'd start to be more concerned.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you again. Took her temp, it was 99.7. So I'll give her some of her Rimadyl and chill out some- as I think I'm making her nervous. Lol. She probably wishes she had a "" for "What's wrong with my human?" Lol
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Good deal. I hope she's feeling better soon!