Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I don't know what to do, my dog has a wound near the throat open, I've been to t

Customer Question

I don't know what to do, my dog has a wound near the throat open, I've been to three different vets but nothing improves, my dog was attacked on my lawn so he needed laceration repair, the first time he tore the stitches while at night, third visit to the vet they put staples and they also took those out at night now he has it open and I called if I should take him in but they told me to leave it like that and make sure he doesn't scratch himself but that's kind of hard at night so I don't what to do next, they told me it would heal in a few days but my next visit is until the 29, the damage is in the throat area by the way
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Can you take a picture of the wound and post it here so I can see what it looks like.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Ok no problem.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
could I sent you the photos through the phone?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was able to take two
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
You should be able to just attach them here.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok let me try
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
There is a paperclip icon that you can use- otherwise, upload it online and post the link. Either way.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
were you able to get it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the second one is a bit farther
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Got it. Thanks. That is pretty nasty looking. It's not going to heal with just sutures or stapling. That needs to be surgically debrided and then closed in 2 or 3 layers. I would surgically remove a good 1/4 inch from each side and also the deep tissue. That should get back to nice healthy tissue that can be closed. I would close the deep tissue, then the Sub-cutaneous tissue and then the skin. 3 layers of sutures should prevent it from opening back up again. If you just pop staples in an infected wound like this, it will just open back up. The edges are also scared over, so they won't stick together. You need bleeding edges to get them to seal. If you do nothing and just keep it clean, it'll eventually heal up. It will likely take another 1-2 months, though. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how much do you thing all of that would cost? and you said infected, so this wound is infected already?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
also why do you think none of the three local doctors have done anything like what you just told me, because they've had a look at the wound as well
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
It looks infected- that yellow stuff is pus. Most day practices should be able to repair this for ~ 200-300. At my ER, it would run ~ 400-500 for the repair.