Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Please help!! My dog (greyhound/collie mix) just drank

Customer Question

Hello & Please help!! My dog (greyhound/collie mix) just drank out of my floor cleaning bucket. I went to the other room for a minute so I have no idea how much you drink. I was able to get him to drink a whole bowl of water to try to flush it out but is there anything else I should do? He seems to be doing OK, but I would really love your help thank you. Erin
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. What was the cleaner in it?How is he just now?Any drooling, vomiting, sores/blisters in the mouth?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It's called Fabuloso. He seems to be ok, & he's acting normal. He does have a sinus infection right now so I don't know if the information would be caused by the sinus infection of the cleaner. Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi again,Let me check its active ingredients just now. Otherwise, can you tell me how long ago he had this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm going to say it's been about a half an hour. He's now had 2 bowls of water.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** glad to see that you have given water to dilute the cleaner. Though I would suggest following with some milk to help neutralize anything in the stomach. As well, we will want to rinse his mouth with cool water to just remove any residue. Following this and since he isn’t vomiting, we can also start small meals of a light diet option for the next 24 hours. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). The rice will help further absorb the cleaner but also prevent it from having total access to the stomach. Otherwise, we'd want to monitor for appetite loss, GI upset, and those aforementioned changes to the mouth. Just to note, none of these signs would fit with a sinus infection (though his congestion is likely why he didn't appreciate cleaner in the water). So, if we see them its a sign of the cleaner and we'd want to follow up with his vet for symptomatic care. Of course, if we see none of these signs in the next 24 hours, then we'd assume that we are out of the woods here. Overall, you have taken some good first steps here and we'd want to follow with the above alongside close monitoring just now. And as long as we don't see any of those signs, we are happy that he hasn't had a worrying amount and harm would be unlikely. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
PS (just wanted to get the above to you but also touch on his sinus issues)- Just further to your note about a sinus infection, you can try to reduce his congestion with some home care. Specifically, you can steam treat to help reduce congestion. THis can be done by taking him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower or you can use a humidifier/nebulizer. As well, non-medicated saline drops (ie Ocean Mist, Little Noses) can also be used to help reduce any nasal congestion or discharge. So, those may be of help with his primary condition after we take steps to counter any issue from his ingesting this cleaner. All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wow thank you so much! He's going to a specialist next week, his vet thinks it may be a tumor. We've tried 3 rounds of antibiotics to no avail. Poor puppy :(
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
You are very welcome, Erin.The poor love, if they suspect a mass. Still, hopefully the specialist will be able to xray and scope his sinus to get to the root of what is there and at least help reduce its effects and keep him comfortable.Best wishes to you both,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )