Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

Our black and tan coonhound, female 3 yo, diagnosed (albeit

Customer Question

Our black and tan coonhound, female 3 yo, diagnosed (albeit presumptively) with PLE has struggled now 1 year. Symptoms persist. Abdominocentesis every 10 days. Is there any end organ damage or failure to be expected?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, PLE doesn't tend to trigger organ damage or failure. Instead, the main issue is that if her vet is having to drain abdominal fluid frequently, there is a concern of eventual circulatory issues and collapse. This is because Lucy is trapped in a vicious cycle. Her protein losses will lead to reduced blood protein levels (albumin). When that albumin level gets too low, we see osmotic imbalance leading to fluid leaking from the vessels into the body cavities. And while removal may help her feel better, if we keep doing that the cycle just continues with her leaking more fluid into the now empty space until again we have issues with the blood pressure and circulation. Therefore, on top of treating the PLE (since the fluid issues are a side effect), we don't just drain the fluid but do want to restore the body's blood protein levels. This can sometimes be done with high protein diets alongside PLE treatment; but for severe cases we may even need to consider intermittent transfusions of plasma or synthetic proteins (colloids) to help restore circulatory balance and stop her vessels leaking fluid into her abdomen as we try to address and settle the primary issue in her gut. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )