Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Our 5 month old pekenegse throws up small amounts of liquid

Customer Question

Our 5 month old pekenegse throws up small amounts of liquid sometimes just drops multiple times a day. She also has extremely bad breath and we cannot figure any reason whh Why
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We took her to the vet for the vomiting a month ago and they treated her for upper respiratory. The vomiting became just water and small volume since and frequency reduced but still is multiple times a day. She seems healthy otherwise. I don't know if the breath is related but she has extremely bad breath that is abnormally bad
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your pup's foul breath, and vomiting small amounts of liquid several times a day. In most cases vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.More serious causes of vomiting and diarrhea include viral (like parvo virus) or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma. Because she is a young dog internal organ failure and cancer are much less likely but I mention them to be complete.In a young dog viral infections like Parvo virus or eating things that they should not, sometimes leading to an obstruction are much more likely causes of vomiting. In her case I find it strange that she seemed to improve somewhat with treating her for an upper respiratory infection. That may mean that she is spitting up due to post-nasal drip, and that would explain her foul breath too, as if she still has something in her nose, sinuses or pharynx (a foreign body, bad tooth root, polyp) the odor will persist until it is taken care of.It's possible too that she has a weak gastroesophageal sphincter and stomach acid/liquid contents is refluxing up into her nose and pharnyx which can lead to irritation and a secondary bacterial infection, which could cause her foul breath. To try and settle her stomach in case this is related to reflux you can give either:1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help if this is reflux and hopefully stop the vomiting and decrease her breath odor.You might try feeding a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Or you can feed a prescription canned low irritant food like Hills i/d or Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diet's EN. If she continues to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), or if she refuses to eat she needs to see her veterinarian for a recheck examination, and diagnostics, including blood work, and possible sedation to look up behind her soft palate and attempt to scope her nose and take radiographs of her tooth roots to look for trouble areas.Her bad breath can also be due to dehydration, a change in her gastrointestinal bacteria flora because she has been vomiting or it can be secondary to a toxin exposure or congenital organ disease. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara