Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My name is ***** ***** JA: Thanks. Can you give me any

Customer Question

hi my name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Japanese Spitz he has hurt his back hip on his left hand side it dose not appear to be mussel as he will let me massage all of the area
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:How old is he?How long has he been like this? Any recent trauma?What signs are seeing? Is he lame, dragging his back leg, struggling to squat?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is 7 year old he is holding up his back leg he hurt it chasing a bird 2 days ago he will allow me to masarge his muscle on that leg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** your lad's history, we do need to tread with care. You noted that he is holding the leg up, but we need to make sure he can at least put it down for a moment. The reason is because if he is constantly keeping it up, then there is a risk of hip dislocation which is an urgent issue. Otherwise, if he can at least walk on it a bit, then we'd be more suspicious of a partial or full thickness tear of the cruciate ligament of the knee or a possible severe muscle strain/sprain with his chasing birds. As well, at his age, we'd also have to be wary of underlying arthritis or possible hip issues (ie if he had an underlying dysplasia). In this case, to start, we'd want to make sure we are strictly resting him (just as we'd rest a sprain ankle). While doing do so, you will want to make sure he isn't jumping on/off things, using stairs, and walks should just be lead walks into the garden to do his business and back to resting. Since he will let you massage the leg, consider also warm compressing any sore areas. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).As well, as long his signs are mild, you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support his joints. For example, you can consider supplementing him with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** fish oil, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe his inflammation and get him more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats).They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight. So,these would be worth consideration for him as well. Furthermore, if he is very sore, has no health issues, and isn't on any other medications, you can give him a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info/Dose HERE @ once to twice daily after food. Of course, if his signs linger despite the above over the next few days, then we'd want a check with his vet (sooner if he cannot put any weight at all and dislocation is a worry). Depending on their findings, they can xray if boney changes or tendon rupture are a concern +/- start strong dog safe pain relief to get him feeling more comfortable with this leg. All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )