Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.

My 3 yr old Yorkipoo was spayed yesterday and tonight she has

Customer Question

My 3 yr old Yorkipoo was spayed yesterday and tonight she has bloody dyareia, is this normal?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was spayed and she's drinking and ate a little, but when she had a bowel movement, it was runny, and had blood in it, is that normal after being spayed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. I am sorry to hear that she has bloody diarrhea tonight. This can be scary to see, though the good news is that this can be very normal after a surgery such as a spay. Fresh red blood in the stool of a dog typically is caused by inflammation in the colon (large intestine). Stress is one of the most common causes of inflammation in the large intestine, and since she was most likely stressed today from surgery and the anesthesia this would be the most likely cause. As long as she is drinking and is not vomiting, she should be just fine, though if she continues to have a lot of diarrhea with blood tonight, I would always recommend taking her to an ER vet to be sure that she is not losing a significant amount of blood. If this episode is the only one that you see then she really should be just fine and is considered somewhat normal after surgery. I would also recommend following up with your vet tomorrow to make sure they are aware that she had some blood in her stool. Hope this helps - please feel free to reply if you have any questions. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 6 months ago.
Sorry I meant follow up with your vet tomorrow morning.