Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 150 lb mastiff just swallowed a small sock, what do

Customer Question

My 150 lb bull mastiff just swallowed a small sock, what do I do???
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Holtz 2 1/2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holtz?
Customer: No he is very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since he swallowed the sock? 2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
about 20 minutesyes
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, as you may already know the concern with the ingestion of a small sock would be a possible obstruction. However, he is a big dog and likely to pass it in the stool. I would recommend to try to induce vomiting with peroxide, this is what you can do:1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. 2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the sock in the vomit change his diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%). The idea is for the rice to help pass the sock in the feces. If you don't see the sock in feces within 48 hours I would have him checked by family vet for xrays with barium.4- If at any point you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction of the intestinal tract. In the meantime, observe and change diet as above then wean back into regular diet. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter