Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

I have a male shih tzu about 7 yrs old, about 2 weeks ago

Customer Question

I have a male shih tzu about 7 yrs old, about 2 weeks ago he started limping and walking slowly. We check his body and it did seem to hurt him when we touched him, he just wasn't getting around like normal. But now, he won't get up at all.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scrufflez
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scruffier?
Customer: Not that I can think of. He's not really eating, at least not his dog food. I offered him scraps last night and he ate that. We don't normally feed him regular food just dog food.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Have you tried to stand him up and when you do what happens? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. A few days ago, he was able to stand up on his own, doing it slowly. Now if we try to stand him up, he just lays back down.
2. When he was a puppy, he had eye issues
3. No vomiting or diarrhea. Sounds like he is having breathing issues and he's been wheezing which he did normally but not its more often.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Google his symptoms early on and some searches came back with back problems or arthritis. One site suggest giving Advil, which I tried and it worked because he got up and walked around but it did cause him to vomit and diarrhea. My sister suggested baby tylenol, which that helped a little with no vomiting or diarrhea.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. It looks like Dr. Peter opted out of your question, so I can step in here. I will tell you that it sounds to me like you are past the point where at home care is appropriate for your dog. His symptoms are progressing, he is now unable to walk and is not eating, so he has only gotten worse. We do worry about things like a herniated disc in his spine compressing on the spinal cord causing pain and weakness. In mild cases (where a pet still has function/movement of the legs), we often treat these conservatively with a combination of muscle relaxer, pain medication, and anti inflammatory (either steroid or NSAID), along with strict confinement (confining to a small kennel for several weeks). In severe cases, surgery may be needed. I cannot tell you if this is what is going on with your dog or not without examining him, but it would be a big suspicion on my list. Here is an article about this disease: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3223.I would highly advise AGAINST giving any more over the counter pain medication. There are no over the counter pain medications that I consider safe in pets. They are very easy to overdose resulting in liver or kidney issues, and they also have many negative side effects, such as stomach upset and sometimes bleeding stomach ulcers. It could be that your dog doesn't want to eat because he has residual GI upset from the medications he was taking. I also worry, could he have some other systemic illness causing general weakness and inappetance (liver or kidney issues). I would strongly recommend getting him into a vet ASAP to get an exam and some appropriate medication. It is the safest thing for him at this point, as there is no safe medications for him you can get over the counter for this issue. Also, if it is a back problem, the longer we delay treating him, the lower his chance of successful recovery. Until you are able to get him in, keep him confined to a small area (sounds like he isnt walking now, so that may not be an issue). Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!