Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog keeps flapping his ears and at the bottom of the right

Customer Question

My dog keeps flapping his ears and at the bottom of the right ear has a hard spot on it. He also has goo running from his eyes. What's the proper way to treat these symptoms?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is drb and I will try and help you with this
First off it sounds like your dog probably has an ear infection if he keeps flapping his ears. This is dangerous because if he flaps them enough he may cause himself to have an ear hematoma which is my biggest concern that he may already have one based on the hard knot you are referring to. In dogs ear infections always occur due to allergies. The allergies most often are food related but can also be caused by environmental allergens. Either way you are going to have to see a vet for this as the underlying cause needs to be determined before being able to accurately and permanently get rid of the infection. 90 percent of dogs with ear infections have food allergy. I see this everyday as I have been working with ear infections over 26 years
Also the goo in the eyes could be due to several different causes. You could have a dog that has the dry eye syndrome, allergic conjunctivitis , glaucoma or some other eye disease. Again you will have to see a vet to get to the bottom
Of this
Just so you know if your vet mentions food allergy then ask for prescription diet science diet venison and potato food and ask for mometamax for the ears. Also I recently learned from a vet derm doc that will mometamax you should put a very liberal amount of the medication in the ears when treating the ears. Also make sure your dog is on heartworm prevention that wil not interfere with the 12 week food trial you will need to do for food allergy
For eyes make sure your vet does a achiever tear test and a pressure test on both eyes
I hope this helps you but feel free to leave me questions here as I will be back online tonight and will get back to you
Sincerely ***** *****
Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated for my answers
A positive rating will not close this question and I am happy to provide follow up answers
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Just checking back in with you to see if you need additional assistance. Sincerely, DRB
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ricky,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kylo. How is everything going?
Dr B
Expert:  Dr B replied 7 months ago.
Do you need additional assistance. I am more than happy to answer follow up questions for you. If you do not have further questions I would very much appreciate a rating for my answers and work to help you. Thank you very much, DRB