petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats

Dog has infection from being scratched by other dog. Is losing

Customer Question

Dog has infection from being scratched by other dog. Is losing eye site. It has been four days now.
Submitted: 6 months ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would a saline solution hurt his eye? Is there some kind of eye wash we could use to clean ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Drink has one eye. The other he lost when he was 4. He got hit by a car. I've had this dog for 14 years. Don't want him to lose this eye.
Expert:  petdrz replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance. Using saline to rinse the eye will do no harm, but if there is an infection due to a scratch and it is not treated appropriately, there is a very good chance he could lose the eye. On top of that, these kinds of conditions can be very painful. There is really not much more that you can do without veterinary intervention. I would urge you to try to find a way to have him evaluated by your veterinarian. Here is a link that may be helpful to you: LINK HERE I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.Dr Z