Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine

My 3 yr old boxer has legs spasms/twitching in his front legs

Customer Question

my 3 yr old boxer has legs spasms/twitching in his front legs & his paws clench, in a pulsing manner. he doesn't seem to be in pain but he's clearly very uncomfortable. never both at the same time just one or the other periodically. massaging seems to help relax the muscles, i bend & gently shake out the leg until it subsides. ive noticed it generally occurs after exercise so ive restricted lengthy activities to more shorter outings.
JA: IÂ’m sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: ya. i was vet assistant years ago so ive thoroughly examined him, looking for any acute signs of pain or discomfort ... everywhere
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: bruno
JA: Would you mind explaining that?
Customer: his range of movement in the legs & paws, checked his paw pads, nails, massage the muscles looking to see if a ligament may be strained or pulled etc
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: thats it. hes otherwise a very healthy eater, super goofy happy boy :)
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 6 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.There are several specific Boxer issues which can occur, but this does not seem to fit any of them. Some type of seizure (partial, incomplete) should definitely be high on the list, but here are some other thoughts. Episodic muscle hypertonicity syndromes have been described in several breeds. Alternatively a thromboembolism (blood clot) issue is also possible which is causing severe pain in the limbs.The first step would be an exam with his veterinarian with some blood testing where he can be screened to ensure his electrolytes and glucose levels are normal, and there is no obvious organ issues. And, check his CK level. If the CK is high then we become concerned this could be an unusual form of polymyositis which Boxers can get. I would have his blood pressure checked and screen for thromboembolic disease. If nothing obvious is discovered then it may be worth trying an anticonvulsant medication trial, and then investigate other things if this does not entirely resolve the problem. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.