Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I took my little 9 lb dog that is 1 1/2 yrs old to a doggie

Customer Question

I took my little 9 lb dog that is 1 1/2 yrs old to a doggie daycare for the weekend. She stayed from Fri - Sun. I brought her home yesterday around 1 pm & she has had diarrhea since then. So she has had it for going on 2 days now. She will drink a very little & I made scrambled egg with nothing added to it. She ate about 2 bites. What should I do. She is very week & will just sleep. She is usually pretty active. She is a miniature Dotson & Fiest mix breed.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now based on the signs we are seeing with Dixie, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And I would note that if she was at day care prior to this, infectious agents and odd ingestions would be our top suspects for her.To start, you were right to offer a light diet. Just in case she isn’t keen to eat egg, I would note that you could also use cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Whichever you choose, do offer small frequent meals and consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to her meals to help bulk up her stools and reduce her diarrhea. Since dehydration is a risk for a small dog with diarrhea, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the diarrhea we are seeing with Dixie. Since she did develop this after her visit to doggy day care, we’d be suspicious of infectious agents or an odd ingestion. Therefore, we can start the above now; but if she appears dehydrated already or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics and further gut settling medication to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dixie. How is everything going?