How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 10919
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14lb cairn ate 3 or 4 butterfingers bites

Customer Question

my 14lb cairn ate 3 or 4 butterfingers bites
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!With this ingestion, you likely will not see any issues but possibly see mild symptoms which can includeVomitingGI UpsetHyper TensionHyperactivityRestlessnessIf your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 & 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting. I would not advise this route because very likely she will not have any issues with the small amount of chocolate (as long as they are not "sugar free" formulas)If there is no vomiting induced, tonight please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargyIf you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. Again I don't expect it but best to know what to monitor for. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hoursTypically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then he should be just fine but taking a few precautions tonight:- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptomI hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both todayIf you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlierPlease let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another 30 minutes tonightIf you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!