Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I'm ***** *****. My dog doesn't seem to be able to urinate

Customer Question

Hi, I'm ***** *****. My dog doesn't seem to be able to urinate this evening. She squats to do so, but it seems nothing comes out. She has bad skin allergies, and it seems she has licked so much that scabs have formed on her urethra. Could this be the problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about it!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear your dog is having allergies as well as straining to urinate. Licking the vulva (the urethra is within the body) can increase risk of a urinary tract infection as the mouth is full of bacteria and the straining to urinate can be a result of the possibility of a urinary tract infection (UTI) There are a handful of causes of her symptoms:1.) A urinary tract infection2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and possibly cause a partial obstruction3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet4.) Trauma- hit by car, muscle trauma of some kind Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with her distress. If she begins panting and pacing then a veterinary er maybe warranted this evening. Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of her symptoms. Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the straining to urinate Below is more information on this condition in dogs, called stranguria or dysuria: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/dysuria-trouble-urinating-in-dogsPlease let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman