Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

How much Imodium can I give my dog? He weighs 75lbs JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

How much Imodium can I give my dog? He weighs 75lbs
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has IBD and had been having diarrhea this evening
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have Imodium multi symptom relief tablets. He weighs 75lb
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about your pup's loose stools.I don't normally recommend using Imodium or Lomotil as it works by slowing the gastrointestinal tract down so that water in the stool can be reabsorbed. It is a narcotic and can lead to sedation and in some dogs can stop normal gut movements entirely. If the diarrhea is related to a bacterial toxin the Imodium allows more toxin to be absorbed. Dogs with IBD often have an abnormal gut bacteria population so I really would be hesitant to use it.Imodium multi symptom relief tablet contain loperamide (narcotic antispasmodic) and simethicone (breaks down gas bubbles). Simethicone is questionably helpful in dogs with loose stools, it may be of some benefit for dogs with a history of bloat as it works in the stomach to break down gas bubbles.Is he currently taking any medication for his IBD?Do you know what triggered his flare up?If he is feeling pretty well otherwise I am less concerned. If not he should be checked by him regular veterinarian if he's not bouncing back quickly with the suggestions that I give you.If he still feels well now though we can try some things at home.If his appetite is off and if his stomach is gurgling he may have some stomach upset and reflux that can go along with her loose stools.To try and settle his stomach today you can try either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours. (two 10mg tablets every 12 hours for him)OR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours. (one 20mg tablet every 24 hours for him)These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. They can be given for several days if need be. I would not feed him any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as he needs fluids after all that he has lost with diarrhea. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make his intestinal irritation worse. If he is NOT taking steroids then he can take Kao-pectate with bismuth subsalicylates at a dose of 1 regular tablet or 1 tablespoon of the liquid per 15 pounds of body weight over a 24 hours period. If he is 75 pounds that is 2 & 1/2 tablets every 12 hours OR 2& 1/2 Tablespoons every 12 hours. This will coat his irritated gastrointestinal tract as well as absorbing bacterial toxins and decreasing inflammation. You can use it for a few days until his stools look normal. You can find kao-pectate at the drug store. If he has a tense painful abdomen, continues to have diarrhea with no improvement after being on kao pectate for 24 to 48 hours, becomes very lethargic, begins vomiting or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then he really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible. Make sure to take a fresh stool sample with you when you go to make sure parasites aren't part of the issue. After his food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken, or plain low fat cottage cheese), all fats drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day. You might wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) of canned pumpkin to each meal if you are seeing mucous in his stool as fiber helps soothe an irritated colon.You can also add probiotics to his bland diet to replace the good bacteria lost with diarrhea. Good brand name products include Fortiflora or Benebac. They can be found online or at pet stores.Once he feels better (no diarrhea for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular dog food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.If he is vomiting and feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.Please let me know if you have any further questions
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****